Walking through the streets of Spain it is pretty typical to see an older woman wearing a bath robe and slippers and either sweeping or mopping the street/sidewalk. Please refer to the picture below to get a better idea of what I'm talking about. I often ask myself why one might do this, but I have yet to ask anyone Spanish. Maybe this can be one of the topics I bring up in the "differences between US (or you-sah (USA) as my students would say) and Spanish cultures" class...

Also funny is when my students see me outside of school and say/shout across the street, "Hello! I'm fine and you?".
Here is the picture of the tortillas I mentioned a few days ago. It might be hard to see how big they are without a reference, but you can use the wine bottles in the foreground to give you an idea. I went back today and the bartender said they weigh approximately 5 kilos, 11 pounds.
I love the photo commentary. The woman in the bathrobe looks hard at work, but how does she know how far to clean? And yes, my students are also very good at repeating phrases without knowing the meanings. Next week we are learning replacement adjectives for the word "fine". We'll see how that goes ;)
ReplyDelete