About three days later, on Thursday, my two girl roommates Pilar and Carmen told me they were going to move out…that coming weekend. The two unofficial roommates that had been living at my house had taken, right from under my nose, these girls to live with them in another apartment in Cordoba! Of couse they took all the good stuff from the apartment, the best pans, knives, and mugs from the kitchen, as well as the tv in the living room, but weren’t able to clear out their rooms until yesterday. In the mean time, the landlady has been hysteric about renting out the other rooms and finding new roommates to replace the others. On Sunday I got a call from Miguel letting me know that a friend of his happened to be looking for a place and wanted to move in. He came by the apartment on Monday, had a look, decided he wanted to stay and told the girls he would move in the next day. I wasn’t home when he visited so I still had never the person that was soon to be my one and only housemate (until Miguel returns in two weeks). He didn’t in fact move in on Tuesday, but on Wednesday as I was showering I heard some people enter the apartment. I thought it was the girls coming to get the rest of their stuff. But of course it wasn’t them. It was the newbie, Ivan, and his friend. Awesome.
After two days of living together I have the impression that we will be fine roommates, (he washes his dishes right after eating and has even washed my dishes two times! and today he invited me to join a baked chicken and potato lunch with him and his friends) but I am still wishing for Miguel to return so I wouldn’t feel like such a stranger in my own house.
But now, for the best part of the story...I get to move too! I am going all the way across the hall to Carmen’s old room, complete with a terrace that has a table and chair set and view of the plaza! A few days ago I started sweeping, mopping and rearranging, and just this morning I finished moving all my things over there. I am excited to finally have some real sunshine in my room, not the diluted stuff that comes down through the patio airshaft.

***My new room.
Saturday I will have some girls over for dinner and we will open the bottle of champagne that was gifted me by a student on the last day of my volunteer English class. So cheers to unexpected, but in the end, good changes, to new roommates, and to the speedy recovery and return of Miguel!!

***My terrace and the view below.

Yay for your new room-it's adorable! I especially love the view from your balcony. It makes me want to jump on a plane and visit again!
ReplyDeleteI agree that the view in your new place is amazing. The basketball injury reminds me of my own injury freshman year, and how you nursed me back to health with your soothing poem. I have it saved somewhere, but if I remember it revolved around a cat licking his wounds. Always knew you were an odd one :)
ReplyDelete