Saturday, April 3, 2010

the rain in spain

There is a saying here in Spain that goes, "The rains in Spain fall only in the plains." I don't know where the saying comes from...but apparently Cordoba is a huge plain (which it actually isn't) because it has rained here ALL winter. (This is the excuse I will use to explain why I haven't updated this is so long...)

River and the Mezquita.
The pictures are of the River Guadalquivir that runs through the southern part of Cordoba all the way to Sevilla and the Atlantic Ocean. This year saw record rainfall and the river reached record heights, flooding many small towns and villages and ruining hundreds of homes along the way.

Sitting on the south side of the river with the Roman Bridge on the left.

When I got to Cordoba in October you could see the river bottom and the only water running through were a few small streams that gurgled along. As you will see in these pictures the river has grown tremendously and now the parks and walkways that bordered the river are flooded. Now the brown water rushes through with a furious current trying to get all the water under the old Roman Bridge and head down stream.

Old flour mill in the river. You can see that by the time I went to the river the water level had already dropped a few feet.

No comments:

Post a Comment